Tuesday, February 3, 2015

3rd DUI in Miami

A recent study performed by Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) estimated that in one year alone, over 100,000 third time DUI offenders were convicted in the state of Florida. This high number, and the accidents associated with it, have given law enforcement cause to enforce strict penalties.
One of the biggest advantages you can give yourself is to retain a defense lawyer for third DUIs in Miami. Individuals who feel qualified to represent themselves often wind up regretting their decision in the end.

How does the state punish third time offenders?

While all the usual penalties apply, such as jail, fines, license suspension, they are exponentially more severe when it is your third offense. Florida law requires that the courts assign unique penalties based on whether the offense occurred within 10 years of a previous conviction or outside of that timeframe.
If there is a conviction within the last 10 years on your record, you could be charged with a third degree felony resulting in up to five years in prison. Regardless, you will be required to serve a mandatory sentence of at least 30 days in jail.
Fines range from $2,000 to $5,000 and your driver’s license can be revoked for at least 10 years. After becoming eligible to drive again, the state also requires that you install an ignition interlock device for two years following.
A third DUI offense that occurs without any convictions in the last 10 years can result in up to one year in jail, up to $2,500 in fines, and the installation of an ignition interlock device for two years.

Can a lawyer help me handle my third DUI?

Hiring a skilled attorney is always better than going without representation. The cost of doing so is far outweighed by the benefits of having an advocate on your side. As the founder of my firm, I believe in giving my clients the level of defense I would want if I were in their shoes.
I have been awarded for my ability to achieve the outcomes my clients need, even when the situation looks hopeless. If you fear that your third DUI offense will destroy your future, contact my firm today. I am eager to turn your case around for the better! 

No comments:

Post a Comment